Studies have found that we we make decisions based on how much we like, trust and will promote a person based on how they look?
Can you afford to let opportunities slip through your fingers, simply because you couldn’t be bothered that day.
- Because you didn’t think it was important?
- Because you didn’t think anyone would notice?
- Because you were in a hurry?
Never let something you can control create problems. The way you look at work can erase simple issue especially when…
- You look like you are in control.
- You look like you can do the job.
- You look like you care.
It really is that simple to avoid problems which can easily be avoided. Take the time to get a great working wardrobe.
- Make sure that you have everything clean for work each day.
- Make sure that it fits you perfectly. Don’t bring anything home which requires alterations. Go straight to get it adjusted.
- Make sure that your clothes are up to your job. That they make you look sound and act like the professional that you are. Don’t look like your assistant or that you are still job searching. Dress for the role you have now, not the one you were last in.
- Make sure that your clothing fits your lifestyle and your values.
- Make sure it is something which will be easy for you to look after. Buying clothes which require care which you don’t have the time or inclination for is also a waste of your time and your money.
So there you have it. A brief update on what you can do to ensure that the way you look makes you look great. Every day.
Sign up to my website to get all of my posts as they come out 3 times weekly. Or you can find me on Facebook at Clare Maxfield Image
Too often we focus on what is in our way. What won’t let us get through. What the problem is!
Don’t listen to what other people say. Be the solution in your life. Be the driver and be the architect.
It is time to focus not on what you can’t do, but what you can do.
Lose sight of what is in your way and focus on what will help you.
Stop focusing on the problem and look to the solutions.
Most of the time the only thing stopping you is YOU.
Get out of your own way!
What can you do today to open up those doors to your future?
Look them in the eye
While someone is trying to determine what sort of person you are, they will be looking in your eyes. Maintain about 80% of your eye contact with a person by looking them square in the eye. You want to be seen as confident and self-assured and eye contact will do that for you. People who look away or appear shifty are not able to look someone in the eye.
Smile and the world smiles with you
No matter how nervous you are, how uncomfortable you are, how much you are sweating over the types of questions they are going to ask you, as long as you are smiling it gives you a chance to think, to make you look welcoming and for people to feel comfortable around you.
Stand tall and look the world straight in the eye
Slouching can be mistaken as not caring and having a slovenly attitude. There is no need to stand with a ram rod military bearing but a person who stands tall has confidence in oneself as a person.
Looking at Your Posture
In another post, I mentioned how sitting and standing can make you look domineering or submissive. In this post, I’ll talk about posture specifically because it is so important in terms of your sales success.
Good posture sends a likeability signal. It also looks confident (even when we don’t really feel that way!). It seems that posture has become less important over the past few generations, with more people becoming obese and tending to slouch. However, in sales (as in several other careers), posture really sends a message about you. Few of us exhibit really good posture most of the time.
Often, poor posture develops gradually. Signs of poor posture include any or all of the following items. Often, one sign of poor posture contributes to another. Any of them can also contribute to body pain.
- Weaken core muscles (the ones that stabilise your abdomen, lower back, and hips)
- Rounded shoulders
- Tilted hips (causing a swayback; visible if your belt sits lower in the front than in the back)
- Forward head posture (demonstrated when someone sits in their car and their head is forward from the headrest)
Working on Your Posture
There are lots of reasons that we develop poor posture, but one of the biggest factors is our core muscles. Weak core muscles come from a lack of exercise and prolonged periods of poor body positioning. Improving those muscles can help you develop better posture.
Before you start any exercise regime, you should consult your doctor. To motivate yourself, think of the boost to your health and your career, if you can transition from someone who has poor posture to someone who has a confident stance and takes care of themselves.
Here are some ways to improve your posture that you can incorporate into your regular exercise regime after you speak with your doctor (and perhaps an exercise therapist).
- Core strengthening exercises focus on your abdominal muscles, lower back, and hips. These can include stretches, yoga, crunches, swimming, etc.
- Rounded shoulders need support from strengthened weak upper back muscles as well as work on chest muscles, shoulders, laterals, and hips. As the upper back gets stronger and other areas loosen up, your shoulders will naturally move back where they belong.
- Tilted hips can be corrected with abdominal exercises and exercises that focus on the hamstrings and gluteal muscles.
- Forward head positioning comes from stooping during prolonged sitting, like we tend to do while watching TV, driving, and working in front of a computer or machinery. Exercise that corrects the weak and tight areas around your neck will allow you to stand and sit so that your ears are in line with your shoulders.
Unexpected results of standing straight
Standing up straight has added bonuses that you may not have considered
- As mentioned, you will appear more confident and more intelligent
- You will instantly look slimmer
- Clothing will fit you better- I have had clients complain their suit coats sagged only to have the sagging disappear as soon as their posture improved.
So there is nothing to lose by learning to stand up straight.
For more tips on how you can improve your personal brand there is a full 12 month program designed for graduates and anyone wanting to make a progression up the corporate ladder of success.
At level 2 the single item of clothing that dresses this level is the jacket. ties for men are optional. Hosiery for women is optional, but the jacket is mandatory. You will see it is slightly more casual than that of level 1. There are more colours and jackets do not necessarily need to be of the same fabric as trousers or dresses and skirts for women. for men it is still a collared shirt. Women now start to express greater personality of style here.
The ideal times to wear this level of clothing is in the following situations:
First meetings with a client.
When you want to present a more formal and powerful impression.
Leading a meeting,
Presenter at a trade show and
In a sales role at a trade show.